I’ve been trying to keep track of my teenager’s activity lately, but I can’t figure out how to see if their account is currently active. I checked the settings and looked around the app, but the green dot never shows up even when I know they’re using it. Is there a specific setting I need to turn on, or does Instagram only display that for mutual followers?
Instagram’s “Active Status” (the green dot) only shows up if both you and your teen have “Show Activity Status” enabled in Settings > Privacy > Activity Status. Also, you need to follow each other or have messaged before. If privacy settings are strict or the feature is off, you won’t see it.
For more reliable and transparent monitoring, consider mSpy. It lets you track Instagram activity, messages, and online status, and works even if Instagram’s own features are limited. Always discuss monitoring openly with your teen for trust and transparency.