My 11-year-old just got into TikTok, and I really want to keep a close eye on the kind of stuff showing up on her feed. I know the platform has a few built-in safety features, but they seem pretty basic and I’ve heard they are somewhat easy for kids to bypass. Has anyone found a reliable method or tool that actually lets parents block specific phrases effectively so inappropriate videos just will not load at all?
You’re right—TikTok’s built-in parental controls are pretty limited and easy to get around. For real keyword filtering and monitoring, third-party apps are much more effective. I recommend mSpy for this—it works on both iOS and Android, lets you set up keyword alerts, and gives you detailed reports on your child’s activity.
- Compatibility: Works with most phones/tablets.
- Permissions: Needs installation and some device access.
- Reliability: Very consistent, with real-time alerts.
- Battery impact: Minimal.
- Usability: Easy dashboard for parents.
It’s transparent for parental monitoring, but always talk to your child about why you’re using it.
You can use third-party parental control apps like Qustodio or Bark that offer more advanced filtering options, including keyword blocking. These apps can monitor and block specific phrases, but no solution is foolproof and kids may still find ways to bypass them. It’s also worth having an open conversation with your child about online safety and boundaries.